It is estimated that cancer affects more than 1.3 million lives each year – including individuals in Shawnee and the surrounding communities. Given this staggering statistic, St. Anthony Shawnee Hospital has long been committed to providing comprehensive, quality cancer care in or close to the community of those patients and families who need it. We are proud to have a Cancer Center that houses equipment and technology usually found in much larger hospitals.
Dedicated to continuously enhancing the standard of comprehensive care and technology offered to patients, the Cancer Center at St. Anthony Shawnee Hospital uses Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT).
- Provides a precise and effective way of delivering radiation therapy
- Allows physicians to treat cancers that were previously untreatable with radiation therapy
- Can eliminate tumors before the cancer spreads.
- Uses three-dimensional computerized scans to visually chart the location of the tumor and surrounding normal tissue
- Provides the opportunity for physicians to deliver higher doses of radiation directly to tumors and cancer cells, while minimizing the damage to surrounding organs and tissue which can mean fewer complications and side effects
- Offers a more precise treatment for tumors in the brain, breast, head and neck, liver, lung, nasopharynx, pancreas, prostate and uterus
The statistics regarding cancer suggest that early detection and diagnosis are critical to positive outcomes. St. Anthony Shawnee Hospital continues to be committed to ensuring that the technology for diagnosing cancer and other diseases is available in our community so that patients do not have to travel outside the area.
- Nuclear Medicine
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Digital mammography including stereotactic biopsy
- Digital Radiology including the PACS system for physicians to access radiological results quickly through computer technology.
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- CT Scans (Computed Axial Tomography)
Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Nationally recognized medical and radiation oncologists on staff
- Patient exam rooms
- Comfortable outpatient chemotherapy rooms
- Family/patient resource library
- Spacious reception area
The profound medical expertise from our physicians and health professionals has enabled the hospital to pass rigorous requirements and achieve certification for our Cancer Center from the American College of Surgeons as a highly qualified cancer treatment center.
In addition, we are members of the National Cancer Database which serves as a resource for tracking cancer diagnoses and treatment as it relates to national and regional trends, maintaining data that is used in cancer research for the benefit of cancer patients in Oklahoma and across the United States.
The physicians associated with our program are nationally recognized and offer both clinical expertise and compassionate care. Not only do patients receive the benefits of the technology associated with the Cancer Center, they are assured access to some of the most highly regarded leaders in the field of cancer care.